Courage & Bravery

In the course of one evening, my sweet little boys and Mr. Big Man himself showed me the content of their character. Well, Aiden also did further our convictions that he is our danger seeker. Aside from that the three of them demonstrated great courage and valor.

It all started when Aiden's curiosity got him in big trouble. The result was a big heavy door closed on his finger. Scott was holding him at the time and as soon as he realized what happened, he quickly opened the door and, trying his hardest not to look at the finger, shoved Aiden's hand under his arm. I looked up as soon as I heard Aiden cry - it took a while for him to reach his threshold of pain so he didn't cry at first! Scott told me what happened and said that Aiden would be okay, but I instantly knew he was not.

That is when I had to make the first decision - do I yell for help so that I can stay with Scott who is known to have situational syncope aka Gower Syndrome? Or do I leave Scott and take Aiden to get help? - this would be faster than waiting for help to come to me. My decision was to take Aiden with me and get help because not only would it be faster but it would get Aiden away from Scott and maybe then Scott wouldn't have an episode. The one person I did not even take into consideration was Sean!

While I went for help, Scott began having an episode and when that happens he gets stubborn and belligerent. He left the lobby and went outside to sit down. By the time I got Aiden's hand wrapped up and went to look for him, Scott had left the lobby. He had tried to sit down outside but then, as I later discovered, made his way to the side of the building away from the crowd. This is where he sat down and did have an episode of fainting! No one helped him! However, Sean was not far behind. While he was scared and confused, he stayed by his daddy's side and tried to wake him up. My poor boy had no idea what was happening, but acted so bravely.

Meanwhile, I am outside with Aiden. I figure out my cell phone is in the car but I can't find the car keys. I have no idea where Scott's car is since we came in separate cars. Sean makes his way to me to tell me Scott is in the car. I asked him to go to the car and see if the doors are locked and he came back and said it was locked. So I then asked him to get his daddy's phone so that I can call sometime to come and take care of daddy. That is when he told me that Scott had been "asleep". A kind lady had been giving candies to Aiden so I asked for a candy for my husband. Sean took him the candy to help him wake up. He was so brave through all this!!

Realizing that Scott could not drive and could not hold the wrap on Aiden's hand I decided to call for an ambulance. By this time sweet Aiden had stopped crying. He is such a strong little boy - in temperament and character. In my mind I kept trying to figure out how I could take care of Aiden AND Scott. This was quite overwhelming. I was so relieved when they found my keys inside the restaurant and I could start calling friends to come and get Scott.

The medics came and were very surprised to have a two-year-old superman! They cleaned and wrapped his wound so that I could drive him to CHOA in Morrow rather than go to a hospital. I just could not leave Scott behind with Sean so that was the better option. However, when I arrived at CHOA they were concerned about Aiden's bones and sent us to Egleston. They wrapped Aidens hand up completely to make sure Scott wouldn't see any blood since it was a long ride to Atlanta at the tail end of rush hour.

During the long ride to the hospital Sean opened up about his fears. It was a relief for him to see Aiden smiling and talking and have his Daddy awake as well. He told me that Daddy was asleep earlier and he couldn't wake him up. That is such a difficult thing for him to go through, but through it all he didn't show me any tears. My boy who tend to ignore commands became a big helper to me by taking care of his daddy. Even though he was scared for himself and what was going on I feel he showed great valor.

Aiden was very playful after the visit with the medics. Each place we went to Aiden asked for the playground and made friends with as many kids as he could! His smile and sweet personality were infectious and the parents in the ER waiting room kept asking me how he could be so happy with an open wound! That is my courageous Aiden.

The other heroes in my story, Mimi and PawPaw, drove all the way from Crawfordville and arrived at the hospital just in time for Mimi to go back with me and Aiden while PawPaw took Scott and Sean home. I was so relieved to not have to worry about them while I was with Aiden and that meant the world to me. Thank you so much!

In an effort to prevent this from happening again, I am now compiling a call list of a few good men who are willing to be on call in the event one of the boys gets hurt. Please contact me if you would like to be included ;o)   Seriously, though, I was pleasantly surprised with the strength all of my men showed during the entire ordeal. And then I realized that there is no reason for me to think my boys would behave otherwise. As children of God He was with us through the entire evening. His presence was there and He used every nurse, every tech and the doctor to heal our son. And surely the Lord was with Sean. Giving him the courage he needed to help his father in his time of need. We are so blessed!

Isaiah 41:13
For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Comments

Popular Posts