Summer Fun?

Oh the joys of working in education. Summer is a time to relax and gives me plenty of time to get reacquainted with my lovely little angels. Especially this summer since it is the first summer in five years that I wasn't either working part-time or pregnant. I had visions of summer fun by the pool, day trips at least three days each week, library visits on the other days. Ah, so exciting! Well, that was the first day of vacation. Then my boys wasted no time setting me straight!

For instance, Sean now has a neighborhood friend, G, and he wants to spend every waking moment at his house. That means he would rather be with G than with his doting mother who has counted down the days to quality time with him. Is that even possible?!? I guess him being at G's house is better than him constantly making messes at home, right? And when he is home he has had a sour attitude and is constantly B.O.R.E.D.

And then my toddler, my sweet, sweet, precious little one. With his bright blue eyes and those long, beautiful lashes that he knows how to work to his advantage. I try to stick to a nap schedule for him with little success - he cries for Sean for at least an hour before succumbing to sleep. And boy the fits he throws if he doesn't get his nap! In addition, while he never had a potty accident with his teacher (not since November when he first trained with her at two-and-a-half!) he deems mommy the perfect one to have fun with by refusing to use the potty for #2.

Needless to say my dreams are now slightly downsized and I have been brought back to reality. I realize that in a few weeks we will get in the swing of things...just in time to set a new routine for back to school! But I aim to make the most of it. The time Sean spends away with G I will use to my advantage to spend some quality one-on-one time with my baby. Never mind the fact that he asks for Sean for the first ten minutes he is gone, this is precious time I wouldn't get otherwise until Sean *gasp* leaves for college! Okay, more realistically is when he goes off to summer camp next summer ;o)

Pastor Tim really drove the point home this past Sunday with the first sermon in his series "Making Your Family a Winning Team". Time. It is fleeting and no one knows how much time they truly have on Earth. Psalm 39:4-6 says just that:

4"O LORD, make me know my end
   and what is the measure of my days;
   let me know how fleeting I am!
5Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
   and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!
                         Selah

 6Surely a man goes about as a shadow!
Surely for nothing they are in turmoil;
   man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather!

We all get the same amount of hours in the day yet we spend them, and waste them, differently. The biggest time waster in my house is the television! It is on from morning until night most days and Sean can't stand it if it is off. A few years ago I invested in a DVR for my husband on father's day so that he could record his shows and not be so rushed when we tucked Sean into bed. I am not kidding. Yet he still waits until commercials to do it! I swear it takes him an hour too long to do dishes because he is watching the boob tube the entire time (luv ya babe). And what about Sean? He stares at that screen and waits until commercials to clean up, go restroom, etc. Such a waste of time that I resolve to end.

The television was off tonight until 10:00pm and it was such a treat! We shall see how this experiment goes this summer, but I have a feeling that I will get the brunt of the backlash. But for a few extra precious moments in my day, it will be worth it a million times over. Maybe I can have my dream summer after all and get just a little more time with my boys??

Comments

Popular Posts