China! Everything is made in China!

Ah, from the mouths of babes. This is Sean's latest epiphany. For some reason he has begun to notice the labels that say "Made in China". I honestly can't remember the last time that I paid attention. You can bet that I will pay attention now.

So, that got me thinking, why are so many products made in China even with the many product recalls and manufacturing shortcuts that have come to light lately. Let me share with you two websites that provide different perspectives. The first is a website geared toward "enticing" companies to have their products manufactured in China rather than the U.S. Here it all boils down to lower labor costs and increased profit margin:
http://www.csra.com.cn/resources_detail_an-comparison-cost-structure-china-us.aspx

But at what cost? This website highlights the consequences of this manufacturing boom in China:
http://managingthedragon.com/index.php/2007/08/29/china-vs-the-american-consumer-ii-the-environmental-cause/

So make of it what you may, how are we going to solve this problem? I very well can't always pay more for American, nor can many others in this economy. Especially not if the American products are lower quality. But I will certainly try to buy American more often now that I have little eyes watching...and reading...my every move!

P.S. Sorry for the research and hyperlinks, it kind of goes with my occupation :o)

Comments

Popular Posts